It doesn’t matter in which country you live, and at what stage the development of the Covid-19 epidemic is there right now. Sooner or later, most of us face at least voluntary self-isolation. Unfortunately, life in quarantine, including sexual life, seems far from a bed of roses. In addition, many worry that during sexual intercourse, especially with unfamiliar partners, they can endanger their lives. So, what about sex in the new reality? I’ll try to honestly answer the most common questions about “Coronavirus sex” from a medical point of view.
Safe sex during an epidemic: How to protect yourself from infection
While in certain countries people have no choice, others choose self-isolation. Anyway, minimizing the chances of meeting the virus is a reasonable solution. You have already heard at least a bit of good advice, such as avoiding crowds, washing hands as often as possible, and wearing gloves when you go out. But what about sex? I will try to explain how to protect yourself from COVID-19 in your intimate life!
FAQ on Coronavirus sex safety
I have answered only the most important and frequently asked questions on sexual safety during the COVID epidemic.
- Can I get coronavirus during sex? Yep. This virus gets transmitted from person to person through close contact. Moreover, a person can be contagious even without any signs of covid symptoms. On the other hand, you can get it with a common kiss, or just shaking hands. So, sex itself does not seem more harmful than any other communication.
- Will usual protection with condoms help me stay safe? Everybody should use condoms anyway. Unfortunately, they cannot protect you from the virus itself.
- Then, I cannot have sex anymore? These days, the best is to have the only partner and do all the best to protect yourself from the virus in your everyday life. Another option is virtual sex without any contact. Also, think of trying the medicine which probably protects from getting infected.
Coronavirus sex: How to overcome problems in bed that you did not expect
Many say that in 8-9 months after the start of quarantine we should expect the new baby boom. In fact, during home isolation people face many psychological problems. And these moods, as well as constantly being at home with the loved ones, do not contribute to good sex. Moreover, such a situation can dissociate, deprive desire, and even cause problems with erection in men. I have asked my fellow psychologists to help me give some tips on how not to forget about sex during an epidemic.
You have probably read some articles about what to do during self-isolation or quarantine. However, in practice, following these recommendations is not that easy. Problems with work, money, health or insurance can lead to depression. And depression often causes a decrease in libido and sexual function in men and women. Instead of reading, self-education and hobbies, many prefer to lie on the couch in sad thoughts. And this is a pretty normal reaction.
Tips on better Coronavirus sex and COVID-19 relationship
Then, what can we do? Here are some simple tips from psychologists and sexologists:
- If you switched to remote work, clearly indicate the working hours. During these hours, close in your home-office, do not let anyone in, and do not get distracted by anything.
- Now, you have no work at all? Then, create a list of routine tasks to do every single day. Reading a book, watering flowers in the garden, watching the news… Whatever.
- But do not put sex in this list! Good sex can only be spontaneous.
- Try to remember everything that you love to do, but previously had no time to. Do not force yourself to engage in a hobby if you do not want to, but give your hobby a chance.
- Do not forget about sports. You can do it in your own garden, and even at home. The lack of physical activity adversely affects not only overall health, but also the psychological state and sex.
- If you notice that you have problems with erection, although the desire has not gone away, order online any suitable medication to improve potency.
- Try not to spend absolutely all the time with your partner, since in the end you will start to feel sick from each other.